The Colbert Report: "soda water"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 15 02:50:35 UTC 2009

Were Colbert from NYC or LA, I'd consider that he may have meant
selzer water or some such as a possibility. But, he's from South
Carolina. In the American South, formerly, if not today, any
carbonated beverage was/is called "soda water," whether it were/be
Pepsi-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Coke-Cola, a "big Arra-C" (Royal Crown Cola),
or anything else of that class of "drank."

"Soda water" was the only term that I knew for that entire class of
beverages. There was no *could* to it. It *did* refer to any kind of
carbonated, non-alcoholic, bottled beverage whatsoever. That's why I
consider Colbert's "soda water" inside of the context of
Northern-style "soda pop" and within the context of flavored
carbonated beverages, to be a slip of the tongue and not an
out-of-context reference to seltzer water, sparkling water, or other
drinks of that ilk.

BTW, do Northerners consider seltzer or other flavorless carbonated
drinks to be "(soda) pop"?

-Wilson
–––
-----