linguistics in the news: case of the missing "t"

Wed Nov 4 22:53:04 UTC 2009

This phenomenon is what we always called Glottaling--much more common
in Britain, but the American version is spreading.  Myself, i have it
pretty consistently before syllabic /n/, variably before syllabic /l/
as in total = [t at U?L] and in final position occasionally.  This, by
the way, was the environments that English dialects had it 125 years
ago.  You know we've really gotten into Glottaling when it  starts
appearing between vowels, as it does in British varieties, so city=
[sI?i].  I've never heard this from americans except where an earlier
syllabic /n/ generated (or re-generated) a vowel before it, and there
you can get some pretty English-sounding realizations.  When I came
back from overseas, I was watching VH1 and they were interviewing
some Brooklyn-born, AAVE-speaking hip-hop artist--don't remember who,
but they asked him what his real first name was.  It was "Martin" =
[mA:?In]--exactly the Cockney pronunciation.

Paul Johnston