OED Access qjuestion

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Nov 26 01:14:50 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 04:19:29PM -0500, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
> Under "retrofit v." in the online OED I find the following example:
>
> 1977 Blair & Ketchum's Country Jrnl. (Brattleboro, Vermont)
> May 33/2 The Mount Washington hung on by virtue of its convention
> facilities, its retrofitted bathrooms and sprinkler system.
>
> How can I find the author and title for the specific article that is
> referenced? I would like to see the actual article, and Google tells me that
> microfiche exists in the Austin Public Library. But I need the name of the
> article and author if I am to get a copy of the entire article through my
> university interlibrary loan, it seems.

Getting back to this late, I wanted to say that we don't have
any way to recover this information--it's an OED2 quote, which
means it would have been sent in on paper, so we can't check
further. In passing, this quotation won't be appearing in the
revised entry when it appears.

I'm rather surprised that you'd need to get the author and
title of a newspaper article in order to get it through ILL, I
must say.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED