Query About Etymological Discoveries

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Oct 5 02:21:20 UTC 2009

--

A very interesting item! Is there any significant extended context?

In particular: is it entirely certain what "hooker" meant in this item
(aside from "Hook denizen", I mean)?

I assume the prisoner is complaining about being called a "hooker", so I
suppose it must have been a negative appellation. But is it clear that
it was exactly "prostitute"? Or is it possible that it was (e.g.)
"thief", "pickpocket", "tout", or maybe even truly "Hook denizen" (with
implication of low social status or whatever)? If it was "prostitute" is
there any indication of whether it was specifically "sailors'
prostitute" or some other specialization?

Does anybody have other pre-1860 instances of "hooker" = "prostitute"
aside from those in HDAS? [Sorry, I don't.]

-- Doug Wilson