*correction* "Murphy's Law" 1943, not (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 15 20:54:27 UTC 2009

At 10/15/2009 04:35 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
>Caveats: NONE
>
>I recently found a book that had what appeared to be 200 pages of
>another book stuck in the middle of it, and the pagination for them was
>different if you downloaded the full PDF file (this was a 1907 book),
>than if you looked at it online within Google Books.

Google Books pagination will be different from the PDF because Google
takes the page number from the page image, while Adobe counts pages.  So:

(1)  For the second book in a conflated Google scanning, the Google
page number will be (may be?!) correct once you find the page, but
giving the Google page number to Adobe will only get you into the
first book in the PDF.

(2)  Even for a single book properly scanned, Adobe counts the front
matter with the text and Google counts it separately.

Joel