"Bob's your uncle" antedating (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Oct 19 14:55:57 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

The BBC Mystery show (shown on U.S. Public Television) "Foyle's War" was
produced in the last decade, but was set in Hastings, England during
WWII.  In one episode, a character says (instead of "Bob's your uncle")
"Robert's your father's brother".  I've always wondered if that was
anachronistic, and now I guess not.

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Stephen Goranson <goranson at DUKE.EDU>
> Subject:      "Bob's your uncle" antedating (1932)

> --------
>
> 1937 Bob's your uncle in Partridge (and OED).
> 1937 Bobs your uncle in archive.
> 1938 Bob's yer uncle in archive.
>
> The Observer [London]. Jun 19, 1932, page 7, col. 5.
> Just Out
> Some Very New Books
> A strident liveliness spoils "The Travels of Tramp-Royal
(Blackwood...)