Hollywood and "SIR!"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Oct 21 07:03:30 UTC 2009

Things were a bit different in the 1980s.

The command was always "Attention!" (or "Tinch-HUT," etc.) when an officer
approached, indoors or outdoors. The officer would reply with "at ease" if
he or she wanted to speak to the soldiers, or "carry on" or "as you were"
(the phrase was indeed used just this way) if he or she were just walking
past. If entering a building, especially a barracks, often the officer would
call out "as you were" preemptively while walking through the door so that
soldiers wouldn't be jumping to attention time and time again. And often
there was a standing rule in office environments not call everyone to
attention every time an officer walked into the building--in our
headquarters, for instance, only the battalion commander or someone senior
to him would bring people to attention.

A variation for soldiers at work was that only the senior NCO came to
attention and saluted the approaching officer. The others would keep on
working unless the officer addressed them individually, in which case the
soldier would come to attention and reply.

And all of this was just in garrison. (If in the field, all this went by the
wayside. There is no coming to attention or saluting in the field. Saluting
is a good way to get your officers killed by snipers, and popping to
attention can get anyone killed.)

Another thing that movies get wrong is that "at ease" is not the same as
"carry on." The command "at ease" means the soldiers are to stand silently
and look the officer or NCO, but no specific posture is required. If in
formation, the soldiers may move, but the right foot must stay planted in
the same position. "Carry on" or "as you were" means exactly that--go back
to what you were doing.