God / United States of America Saying

Thu Oct 22 16:40:39 UTC 2009

> A correspondent asked me about the origin of the saying "God watches out for little children, fools, drunks and the United States of America."  I believe the wording varies.
>
> I could have sworn I saw this discussed on ADS-L or barrypopik.com, but I am having trouble locating discussion of it.  I would welcome any information about early citations for this.
>
> Fred Shapiro

Maybe you saw this entry on the Barry Popik website dated October 02, 2009:
“There is a providence that protects idiots, drunkards, children, and
the United States of America”
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/there_is_a_providence_that_protects_idiots_drunkards_children_and_the_unite/

Garson O'Toole