God / United States of America Saying

Thu Oct 22 17:37:43 UTC 2009

Here is an 1908 version with Bismarck and the United States:

Bismarck has truly said that "God always looks after the fools and -
the United States."

Citation: "Armor: Journal of the United States Cavalry Association",
page 609, Vol. XVIII, No. 67, January, 1908.

Here is an 1830 version without Bismarck and the United States:

That peculiar Providence which the French proverb truly says, always
watches over fools and drunkards, brought him in safety to Rome; and
there he fell in my way, in the manner already related.

Citation: "Stories of American Life by American Writers Vol. III",
edited by Mary Russell Mitford, page 66, Henry Colburn and Richard
Bentley, London, 1830.

Note that both quotes include the formulation "truly said" which
apparently means "what I am about to say is dubious".
Garson O'Toole