another moment

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 24 02:34:08 UTC 2009

Not a new coinage, but a notable instance of a slightly older one.
 From ""Inside the Crisis: Larry Summers and the White House economic
team," in the New Yorker's Money issue (Oct. 12), this is Christine
Romer, the Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers...

At the December meeting, it was Romer's job to explain just how bad
the economy was likely to get. 'David Axelrod said we have to have a
"holy-shit moment,"' she began. 'Well, Mr. President, this is your
"holy-shit moment." It's worse than we thought.'

On the Politico blog
(http://dyn.politico.com/printplaybook.cfm?uuid=1FC23662-18FE-70B2-A8DA26C0F1694788),
this appears under the header:

Ryan Lizza, on Christine Romer during the transition: 'Mr. President,
this is your holy-[cow] moment'.

This certainly sheds a whole new light on the phrase "Don't have a [cow]!"

LH