"Lord Alfred" or "Alfred, Lord"?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 16 15:42:28 UTC 2009

Smiling my sardonic "what-did-you-expect?" smile, I used to correct students
who infallibly referred to "Lord Alfred Tennyson."

I'd still do it, although these days I can't muster even a sardonic smile.
Google shows that "Alfred, Lord Tennyson,"
outnumbers the other chap by nearly ten to one, at least in raw hits.

But "Lord Alfred" is on the rise:

2009 Samantha Henig "Periscope" in _Newsweek_ (Jan. 12): Lord Alfred
Tennyson's "The Charge of the Light Brigade."
JL
--
"There You Go Again...Using Reason on the Planet of the Duck-Billed
Platypus"