fvck (UNCLASSIFIED)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Sep 18 04:14:41 UTC 2009

My daughter, a 17-year-old high school senior in the Maryland suburbs of D.C., says that some students do use "Fug!" as an exclamation.  She thinks it may derive from "fugly," though.

She also remarked on the prevalence of "FML," short for "Fuck my life," essentially a cri de coeur of despair.  Looks like 3.4 million raw Googlits.

John Baker

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Wilson Gray
Sent: Sat 9/12/2009 12:30 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: fvck (UNCLASSIFIED)

FWIW, the paperback version that I read and re-read had "frig." 'Twas,
as my late father used to say (oddly, the anachronicity of this didn't
strike till I was in my 60's; I just thought, Well, he means
['It.w at z]) the first time that I'd ever come across this word. Does it
exist outside of literature? No, I mean it. I'm really asking. Has
anyone else either heard it in the wild or, perhaps, even used it
himself?

-Wilson

--
-Wilson