Off-gliding to G

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 25 21:52:39 UTC 2009

 <200909251843.n8PAlC9e028727 at malibu.cc.uga.edu>

There's a study on ING in American Speech=2C summer 2008.  It compared pron=
unciation ~in vs. ~eeng for "ing" word endings.  For example=2C the word "l=
iving" can have the alveolar "n" (~livin) or velar "n" (~liveeng)=20
Note:-- No mention in the study is made of how the vowel changes=2C but thi=
s is my interpretation of the sound difference.
=20
Turns out that=2C the alveolar (~in) is significantly more popular for Work=
ing class African and European-Americans Americans=2C than Upper-middle cla=
ss African and European-Americans.  =20
=20
Moral of the story - For the ending "-ing" go for ~eeng for the big bucks=
=2C not ~in.
=20
Interestingly=2C women were more prone to ~in than men.

Tom Zurinskas=2C USA - CT20=2C TN3=2C NJ33=2C FL7+
see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------=
------
> Sender: American Dialect Society=20
> Poster: Laurence Horn=20
> Subject: Re: Off-gliding to G
------

> At 1:37 PM -0500 9/25/09=2C Barbara Need wrote:
>>Lynne=2C
>>
>>I wonder how much this might be a reaction to the "g-dropping" in
>>participles (huntin'=2C fishing'=2C etc.). I have assumed that this was a
>>shibboleth in England based on its treatment in mysteries (there's at
>>least one Agatha Christie in which it is a clue!).
>>
>>Barbara
>
> Dorothy Sayers's Lord Peter Wimsey affects this "g-dropping" in
> participles as an instance of reverse snobbery (as I understand it).
>
> LH
>

>>Barbara Need
>>Chicago
>>
>>On 23 Sep 2009=2C at 6:37 AM=2C Lynne Murphy wrote:
>>
>>>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>-----------------------
>>>Sender: American Dialect Society=20
>>>Poster: Lynne Murphy=20
>>>Subject: Re: Off-gliding to G
>>>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
-------

>>>I probably do this from time to time=2C but my sister-in-law (native
>>>of South
>>>London) does it a LOT=2C though the rest of her family doesn't. I
>>>associate
>>>it with a certain kind of over-enunciative talking that has a certain
>>>'lilt' to it as well. (Sorry=2C not a very good description.)
>>>
>>>Lynne
>>>
>>>--On 22 September 2009 12:27 -0700 Grant Barrett

>>>Dr M Lynne Murphy
>>>Senior Lecturer in Linguistics
>>>Arts B357
>>>University of Sussex
>>>Brighton BN1 9QN
>>>
>>>phone: +44-(0)1273-678844
>>>http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com

>>>The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

> The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org                                           =
=0A=
Bing=99  brings you maps=2C menus=2C and reviews organized in one place.   =
Try it now.=0A=
http://www.bing.com/search?q=3Drestaurants&form=3DMLOGEN&publ=3DWLHMTAG&cre=
a=3DTEXT_MLOGEN_Core_tagline_local_1x1=