William Safire dead at 79

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sun Sep 27 20:37:08 UTC 2009

Yes, Safire was a very valuable link between academia and the general public on matters of lexicography, and (bless him) etymology.  I particularly recall him frequently promoting the Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE), and his assistants must have been in contact with a dozen or so American Dialect Society members about this or that word or expression.  And he gave due credit in his columns.

I hereby express my deep gratitude for all that interaction.

Gerald Cohen

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Grant Barrett
Sent: Sun 9/27/2009 2:02 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: William Safire dead at 79

Safire, who was 79, died at a hospice in Rockville, Maryland, the
Times said. An aide to Safire said he had suffered from cancer.

http://news.google.com/news/search?aq=f&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=%22William+Safire%22+%28dead+OR+died%29

Safire will be remembered by many of us for trusting us to help him
with his research, promoting our books in a place of prestige, and
giving the country a jumping-off point for popular discussions of
language.

Grant Barrett
grantbarrett at gmail.com