OT: language origin and creationism

Kari Castor castor.kari at GMAIL.COM
Thu Apr 1 16:10:43 UTC 2010

It may be too late for this to be of use in this particular situation, but
I've spent a couple of days this semester having my freshman comp classes
look at materials that profess to be serious and/or scientific in nature and
asking the students to evaluate those sources based on certain criteria like
the ones in the link provided by Dave.

I used the Open Letter to the Kansas School Board from the Church of the
Flying Spaghetti Monster, and we talked about and evaluated the claims being
made in the letter.  (It also provided an opportunity for a quick lesson on
satire, as many of my students believed that the writer was completely
serious.)  I'm not sure this was as successful as I'd hoped, but I think
I'll continue to use it and tweak the discussion to get greater value out of
it.
http://www.venganza.org/

I also had them evaluate the Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus
website, an activity which I found to be quite successful.  Again, many of
my students were completely taken in by this website at first.  I had them
work in groups, and there was a great deal of intragroup discussion to the
tune of, "I think it's real, I think the tree octopus really exists."
http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/
<http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/>
I've also talked a great deal about bias and credibility with them, and have
been encouraging them to use the tools easily available to them to look up
authors and sources and find out who and what they are, and what their
agendas might be.  I gave them a hypothetical example of a an article
written about gay marriage by an author whose credentials include some
association with Focus on the Family.  Since not one of 42 students was able
to tell me what Focus on the Family was, I had them Google it, and we talked
through looking at the website itself, and then looking at other sources to
learn more.  I know academics are supposed to hate Wikipedia, but it's
really their friend in this (we spend a fair amount of time on the strengths
and weaknesses of Wikipedia, and how to use it well).  I stress that
identifying an author's (or publisher's) agenda is really important to an
evaluation of a source.

In my course, students also have to create an online annotated bibliography
that goes along with their final research paper.  For that annotated bib,
they are required to create some kind of rating system for their sources,
using the evaluative criteria we've been talking about all semester, and
their annotations are to be evaluative as well as summative.  That way they
(hopefully) remain responsible for thinking evaluatively about their
sources.

Whether any of that's of any use to you, I'm not sure, and whether any of it
would help you get through to a student deeply entrenched in a creationist
agenda, I'm also not sure.  This is the first time I've taught this course,
and I'm requiring my classes to research technology issues, so I sidestepped
the big idealogical stuff anyway.

Kari