I am what I am ....

Fri Apr 23 17:04:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Charles Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:

>Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

>>> Hmmm.  Is that really *more* tautological than the original?  Maybe
>>> more obviously tautological.
>>
>>Well, sure, since we're talking about repetition on the surface, for
>>rhetorical effect. The impact is lessened when one side of the
>>equation resorts to pronominal substitution. John Wayne wouldn't have
>>sounded quite the same if he'd said, "A man's gotta do what he's gotta
>>do."
>
> I suppose it's not so well known that "The heart wants what it wants"
> appears in a letter from Emily Dickinson (1862).

Interesting! But it's the full (non-pronominalized) version that has
circulated more widely, despite Emily and Woody. TV screenwriters love
it -- I've heard it on recent episodes of "Lost" and "Law and Order."

Another variant is "The heart knows what the heart knows," used in
Stephen King's novel _Cell_, inter alia.

--Ben Zimmer