protest = 'demonstrate in public to draw attention to'

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 25 13:31:45 UTC 2010

At 8:51 AM -0400 4/25/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Why become an advocate for migraines or protest the need for jobs when you
>can rally for global warming instead?
>
>CNN reports James Cameron's involvement in a public demonstration
>today(called the "Climate Rally")  in which "thousands will rally for
>climate change."  That means they're against it.
>
>Meanwhile the bottom-of-the-screen note says "Call For Climate Change."
>

>JL

I recall getting upset back in the day, when I participated in
rallies to end the war in Vietnam that were then described in the
press or on the news as "anti-Vietnam" demonstrations.  Not exactly
the same, but...

LH