Maurer

Tue Aug 3 01:02:46 UTC 2010

An article in the New York Times cites an article in the  Los Angeles
Times that gives a $600,000 figure for the settlement.

FILM; Hollywood Law: Whose Idea Is It, Anyway?
By JOY HOROWITZ;
Published: March 15, 1992
New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/15/movies/film-hollywood-law-whose-idea-is-it-anyway.html

begin excerpt
David Ward, for example, who won an Oscar for best original screenplay
for "The Sting" in 1973, was sued by David W. Maurer for plagiarizing
"The Big Con," his 1941 nonfiction book about swindlers. The Los
Angeles Times reported that Universal and Mr. Ward, who admitted using
Mr. Maurer's book as research, settled the case for $600,000.
end excerpt

One of Maurer's obituaries mentions the lawsuit but does not state an
amount for the out of court settlement.

David W. Maurer Is Dead at 75; An Expert on Underworld Slang
June 14, 1981
UPI article at the New York Times website
http://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/14/obituaries/david-w-maurer-is-dead-at-75-an-expert-on-underworld-slang.html

being excerpt
Dr. Maurer was the author of ''Whiz Mob,'' which dealt with the argot
and behavior of pickpockets, and ''The Big Con,'' a book published in
1940 about confidence men. In 1974 he filed a $10 million lawsuit
charging that the motion picture ''The Sting'' and the book of the
same name had been copied from ''The Big Con.'' The lawsuit was
settled out of court in 1976.
end excerpt

Garson