Maurer

Tue Aug 3 01:41:26 UTC 2010

The longer excerpt below more accurately represents the position of
Mr. Ward the author of the screenplay of The Sting:

FILM; Hollywood Law: Whose Idea Is It, Anyway?
By JOY HOROWITZ;
Published: March 15, 1992
New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/15/movies/film-hollywood-law-whose-idea-is-it-anyway.html

The practice of settling these cases can be especially bothersome to
writers who feel they've been unjustly accused and never get to clear
their names. David Ward, for example, who won an Oscar for best
original screenplay for "The Sting" in 1973, was sued by David W.
Maurer for plagiarizing "The Big Con," his 1941 nonfiction book about
swindlers. The Los Angeles Times reported that Universal and Mr. Ward,
who admitted using Mr. Maurer's book as research, settled the case for
$600,000.

"This whole thing has been a real source of pain to me," Mr. Ward
says. "If accused, people assume you were guilty. There's no trial. No
evidence presented against you. Universal made the decision to settle
for purely business reasons."