"Thanks! I Needed That!"

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Sun Aug 22 18:42:35 UTC 2010

  This may be a red herring, but I have a memory of that scene from a
pre 1940 british film., either WWI or british colonial outpost.
Vaguely, as I remember, outnumbered, probably going to die, "must show
these buggers how a gentleman/Englishman dies"
Sorry, can't be more help than that

On 8/22/2010 1:23 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> The Mennen Skin Bracer ad came long before _Airplane_.  And presumably after
> the gopher cartoon.
>
> Is the phrase just a "folk version" of the movie dialogue?
>
> If it isn't really in the movie, anything becomes possible.
> JL
> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Joel S. Berson<Berson at att.net>  wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society<ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       "Joel S. Berson"<Berson at ATT.NET>
>> Subject:      Re: "Thanks! I Needed That!"

>> At 8/22/2010 10:49 AM, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>>> A few years later, in 1957, another plane crash movie was released --
>>> "Zero Hour!", which served as the basis for "Airplane!" The makers of
>>> "Airplane!" bought the rights to "Zero Hour!", so they were able to
>>> crib dialogue verbatim. This video has a side-by-side comparison of
>>> scenes from the two movies:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BjU-e01zQ4
>>>
>>> About 2 minutes in there's a scene with a woman screaming, "I've got
>>> to get out of here!" In "Zero Hour!" a man just shakes here, but in
>>> the "Airplane!" version, she's shaken, slapped, and otherwise abused
>>> by a series of passengers. Anyway, no "thanks" here either, so that
>>> doesn't really help us.
>> Is there different scene in "Airplane" which does have a slap and
>> "Thanks! I Needed That!", perhaps in the cockpit?  Or am I
>> half-remembering such an incident from some other of Leslie Nielson's
>> spoof movies?
>>
>> "Airplane" is 1980.  Has anyone searched Gann's 1953 "The High and
>> the Mighty" yet?
>>
>> Joel

> --

He could sell you the time and get a commission from the man who owned the watch.
said of Colin Chapman