hauntology

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 26 20:44:12 UTC 2010

Not in OED:

2009 Eugene O'Brien _"Kicking Bishop Brennan Up the Arse"_  (Oxford: Peter
Lang) 135: In _Spectres of Marx_...Derrida discusses hauntology, seeing
ghostly hauntings as traces of possible alternative meanings. Derrida's
spectrality involves acknowledging the other that haunts the self; it
involves acknowledging the possibility that the 'h' in _hauntology_ is a
hovering presence over the uncertainties of ontology, and above all, it is
predicated on the future.

I didn't know that!  I'd have italicized "ontology," of course, but dig that
hovering, ghostly "h" that makes all the difference!

JL

_