Personal seedless watermelons

John McChesney-Young jmccyoung at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 29 14:37:20 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 7:30 AM,  <ronbutters at aol.com> wrote:

> My Sunday Kroger newspaper inserts offers a special price for "Personal seedless watermelons"; does this seem weird to anyone but me?

It's apparently The New Thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/18/dining/18melons.html

"The larger, more traditional-looking seedless 'picnic melon' that
flooded grocery stores in the 1980s still dominates the market. But
the future is in what the industry calls personal melons, or the
slightly larger icebox melons — round balls of sweet without seeds
and, some think, without character.

"The personal melon, weighing no more than six pounds, accounts for
only about 12 percent of retail sales, according to United States
Department of Agriculture research."

***

John

--
John McChesney-Young ** Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
JMcCYoung~at~gmail.com ** http://twitter.com/jmccyoung **