"cohoop", v., = "to whoop", 1676

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 4 02:19:08 UTC 2010

For the 1676 quotation (below), the NEHGS cites Mass. Archives, Vol.
68, p. 223.

Joel

[391] This morning aboute Sun two hours high ye Enimie Alarmed us ...
Some after they gave a shout & Came in sight upon ye Indian hill
great Numbers of them & one as [392] theire accustomed manner is
after a fight, began to signifie to us how many were slaine. They
Cohoop'd seventy-four times, which we hoped was only to affright us
seing [sic] we have no intelegance of any such thing ...

[The Algonquians in King Philip's War celebrated English losses by
shouting to count the enemy dead.  See Lepore, _The Name of War_, p. 62.]

1676 April 22.  Lieut. Richard Jacob's First Letter.  "from Malbary"
[Marlborough, Mass.]

In:  New-England Historic and Genealogical Register ... for the Year
1886.  Vol. 40.
Boston: Published at the Society's House ..., 1886.
Page 392.
[Google Books, Full view.]