Q: "scrug", a noun from circa 1676?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Dec 4 03:12:12 UTC 2010

Can anyone suggest what "scrug" might be in the following?  A variant
spelling of something?

After describing an Indian attack in King Philip's War (circa 1676),
an observer wondered "what god in such a scrug Intends".

I don't have any more context at the moment, but will obtain it on my
next visit to a large university library.  My guess at the moment is
"a disorderly struggle".  I could imagine "scrum" (scrimmage), but
the OED dates that only from 1888!

There appears to be a Scottish usage, "To SCRUG one's Bonnet, va This
word refers to the custom of wearing the bonnet with a pique in the
front. A person is said to scrug his bonnet, when he snatches it by
the pique, and lifts it up, or cocks it, on his brow" (1825; also in
Dict. of the Scots Language) -- but I can't see any relevance to my
context, even though the writer is a Philip Walker (might be Scottish?).

Joel