OT? [ADS-L] antedating scampi

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 15 01:54:50 UTC 2010

Interspersed below...

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:51 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> If "scampi" refers to a method of preparation/cooking, what's
> peeve-making about "shrimp scampi"?  Presumably I could make "prawn
> scampi" -- or, to be more serious, "lobster scampi", etc.

The assumption on the part of culinary prescriptivists is that
"scampi" implies a shrimp preparation--unless, of course, something is
added to make it otherwise. But, of course, some purists suggests that
"blueberry bagels" are not bagels.

>>In fact, four ingredients that are common
>>to most (though not all) scampi recipes are shrimp, garlic, butter,
>>olive oil and parsley.
>
> I count five so far.

You are right and I meant to leave off the shrimp. What used to pass
for "scampi" in the US AFAIK was a preparation of shrimp with olive
oil and garlic-parsley butter sauce made with wine and lemon juice.
Very basic. The main point is /no bread crumbs/.

VS-)