Velvet Elvis

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 23 00:07:42 UTC 2010

... or "Velvis" (or so says Wiki)--not in OED or any other dictionary
that I checked. In addition to the basic velvet silhouette "portrait" of
Elvis, it has become a synonym for "kitsch". It has also been used
mockingly to refer to people in velvet outfits, but that's sporadic and
I have no printed evidence for this (e.g., something like "going Velvet
Elvis" or "he's all Velvet Elvis").

     VS-)

PS: a quick search did not help much. Here "gone Velvet Elvis" implies
"became a Velvet Elvis salesman":

http://goo.gl/ioGuD

http://goo.gl/GqQm3

http://goo.gl/66fnf