[dZ&gwar], [dZ&gjuwar], and [dZ&gwaIr]

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Dec 27 04:49:04 UTC 2010

--

They seem ordinary to me, so I can't say where I heard them or how
often; I suppose they may be widespread. In 2008 (reported under

"Jag-you-wahr" seems to me an expected variant analogous to /lINgjuw at l/
for /lINgw at l/ "lingual" shown (e.g.) in MW3. Maybe a sort of a spelling
pronunciation? Cf. "actual" etc.

As for "jag-wire", one might speculate that this is a transcription of
/dZ&gwar/ spoken by a southern speaker. Note however (in DARE) "jag
wire" meaning "barbed wire".

-- Doug Wilson