handcrafted

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 28 13:08:32 UTC 2010

If memory serves (and why should it?) "crafted" itself was the immediate
predecessor of "handcrafted."

OED offers but one ex., from 1550. The word is defined as "craftily or
cunningly devised," but the current sense is simply "skilfully constructed."
 "Crafted prose" is a familiar collocation, but there must be even more
industrial applications than for "handcrafted," if only because the idea of
meticulous personal skills is somewhat less overt.

OED has the active verb "craft" from 1963.

JL