handcrafted

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 28 02:23:57 UTC 2010

I took it to be remarkable in the same way "natural," "fresh," and other
terms were remarked upon by Dwight Bolinger in "Language - The Loaded
Weapon" (especially chapter 10: "Power and deception"). Bolinger's take
rings true in JL's analysis of "handcrafted": the word's connotations are
stretched to situations in which they would no longer logically apply
(especially not if we follow Ron's hand+craft analysis), with the aim of
making people feel the whiff of those associations even when the root
meaning is no longer applicable. It is not merely figurative, either,
because what's at stake is appropriating those warm associations. Others on
the thread have said something quite similar, with which I agree.

"Organic" has become less pliable in that sense, because of regulations, but
"natural" remains maliciously malleable.

F.