handcrafted

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 28 01:52:17 UTC 2010

Well, yeah, since "handcrafted" basically means 'skillfully made', any number of things could be called "handcrafted"; that is not the same thing as '(entirely) hand-made'. If Ghia used :"stamps and presses" to make there products, they are scarcely 'handmade'. Likewise suits made on any kind of assembly line.

My point is this:

"Handcrafted" today and "handcrafted" in 1952 do not appear to mean much different things, though it is certainly possible that means of "crafting" things may have changed owing to technological innovation and different cultural perspectives on "craft."

JL began this thread by implying (or so it seemed to me) that the OED was missing some new definition of "handcrafted." I say no: the commercial use is not all that different from 1952, and in any case the meaning that JL is looking for is derivable with no leap of the imagination from the meaning that the OED has already given.