NTWOTY -- connectome/connectomics

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Dec 29 00:49:30 UTC 2010

"Their goal is to run slice after minuscule slice under a powerful
electronic microscope, develop detailed pictures of the brain's
complex wiring and then stitch the images back together. In short,
they want to build a full map of the mind. The field, at a very
nascent stage, is called connectomics ... They want to find a
connectome, or the mentai makeup of a person."

[No, the brain slices so far are not human, but mouse.]

NYTimes, Dec. 28, 2010, page D1, col. 1, "In Pursuit of a Mind Map,
Slice by Slice".

28,000 Ghits, and an article in Wikipedia.  Earliest GBooks
occurrence I found is 2005, New scientist: Volume 188, Issues
2524-2532, snippet view:  "The word Bookends Connectome THE human
brain is a fantastic maze of connections, a vast network of networks
that circulates information and determines how we think and act. One
of the many big puzzles left in neurology is working out ..."  Same
2005 for "connectomics".

Joel