Limerick (poem) antedating Nov. 30, 1880

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Feb 3 16:39:36 UTC 2010

Bravo!

Earlier than 1880:  I had found a Limerick *poem* from 1878, in the
"19th Century UK Periodicals" database (Gale), but had not been able
to connect such a poem with the word "Limerick" or with the "come up
to" tune.  (Is 1878 the earliest known instance of the poem form?)

1878, St. Nicholas [London], Jan. 1, p. 222; from British Library
[perhaps a beta release since it uses the same word twice]:

There once was a man with a child
Who, the neighbors said, never had smiled;
      But the father said, "See !
      Smile in this way, like me,
And then folks will know when you've smiled.

Joel