Limerick (poem) antedating Nov. 30, 1880

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 3 16:54:42 UTC 2010

Yes, another tremendously important discovery by Stephen!

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:40 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Limerick (poem) antedating Nov. 30, 1880

A fabulous discovery, Stephen!

If anyone out there can't see why:

1. Earliest known connection, by many years, of the word "Limerick" with the
verse form.

2. Confirmation that the verses were sung rather than simply recited from at
least 1880.

3. Confirmation that the tune used was the Irish slip jig, "Won't You Come
(Up) to Limerick?"

4. Confirmation that that phrase was used as a chorus.
5. Convergence of all these factors in North America - amazing in itself.

Almost too good to be true...

Yet true nonetheless.

Awesome.

JL