18th century "was" vs. "had been"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Feb 4 15:37:36 UTC 2010

Yes, in colonial America bodies of those hanged
were sometimes left hanging for more than a short
time.  One well-known instance is a few (3 or 4
persons) executed in the so-called "New York
Conspiracy" of 1741.  There were probably more
than a few instances in the southern colonies,
but I have only minimal knowledge of that area
(one instance is the Stono Rebellion of 1739 in
South Carolina).  Although very infrequently in
New England; in Massachusetts the law required burial within a few days.

And Mark's body was left hanging for a number of
years; there are eye-witness reports.  But my
question is about whether Revere actually saw the
body still hanging in 1775, 20 years after Mark's
execution, or was simply identifying the location
when describing his ride.  Historians have
interpreted Revere's sentence in both ways.  I am
asking whether, in the 18th century, "was
hanging" might have had a "past perfect" sense,
where today we might say "had been hanging".

If Revere had written "was hung", I would
interpret that as the simple past -- Mark was no
longer there.  But Revere didn't (and I don't
know if at his time one could have written that).

Joel