18th century "was" vs. "had been"

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Thu Feb 4 17:26:23 UTC 2010

In your original post you quoted Revere as writing "was hung"? So have you answered your own question?

If he actually wrote "was hanging," then there's a further ambiguity since AFAIK the progressive passive wasn't (commonly) used then and the active progressive would have been used with passsive meaning. Thus, "X was hanging" could have meant "X was being hung/hanged."

Matt Gordon