Request for books/articles on gender words

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Sat Feb 6 01:20:22 UTC 2010

A colleague has sent me the following request:

"I have a student interested in writing a paper about masculine and feminine words choices and how they are used.  For example, "John throws like a girl."  Meaning he doesn't throw very well.  On the other hand, "Bob has balls"   implying Bob is strong and gutsy.

"Can you recommend an article or book to read to START this research?"

     I'm not able to help, but I know that at least several ads-l members are familiar with gender issues in language. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Gerald Cohen                                                                                                                                                     Missouri University of Science and Technology                                                                                        (former name: University of Missouri-Rolla)