Now we have literary "mixing" too

Sat Feb 13 19:09:57 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> >
> > Now we have literary "mixing" too.  (Or perhaps
> > this is not new to ADS-Lers?)  I'm not sure
> > whether "mixing" as used in the headline, or
> > "mixes" as in the article, are sufficient for the
> > OED.  But perhaps it will spread -- or does it
> > exist already?.  (Hegemann, being German,
> > presumably has not said "mixing" in English.)
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/world/europe/12germany.html?em
>
> The hiphop word is "sampling."

Hiphop culture has plenty of "mixing" too. From my Word Routes column
last year, musing on the eggcornish word _mixmash_:

---
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/wordroutes/1679/
These days, _mix_ and _mash_ easily go hand in hand, with both words
used to describe how snippets of music are blended together with
modern production methods. Hiphop music has long had its _mix-masters_
and _mix-tapes_, and since the '90s the word _mash-up_ has come to
mean a song that merges elements from two or more other tunes (like a
vocal track and an instrumental track) through computer trickery. The
fusion of _mixmash_ is right at home in this mixed-up environment.
---

--Ben Zimmer