Now we have literary "mixing" too

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 13 23:08:00 UTC 2010

On 2/13/2010 3:07 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
> "Mix-tape" even predates hiphop, as does "party-mix(es)." But not by
> much.

It depends on what we mean by "mixing" and "hiphop". Some musicians have
self-identified as hiphop or hip-pop in the early 1970s, possibly even
earlier, but, of course, the style differed dramatically from what later
became hiphop. As for "mixing", even unrelated to "mix-tape" and
"party-mix", it existed at least since the late 70s, if not in NYC,
certainly in dance clubs of Jamaica. How long do you think "mix-tapes"
and "party-mixes" have been around? Philips patented Compact Cassette in
1962. I can just imagine some enterprising dj lugging around a 12-inch
reel from party to party as his "mix".

>   When I think about how long hiphop - in which word I include rap
> - has been around, I'm shocked! Shocked! I long - for a dekkid or two
> - considered it to be nothing but flash-in-the-pan "noise," in that
> word's extended St. Louis-BE meaning of "ignorance, uselessness,
> annoyance, crap, bullshit, unreason," etc., etc. Now, of course, I
> have my own modest iTunes hiphop collection.

I find it particularly ironic that generations that rebelled against
bans on early rock-and-roll have later dismissed contemporary "music" as
just "noise". The ironies abound--but not the memories.

     VS-)