Back to you and I (who went to row the boat ashore)

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Thu Feb 18 22:10:09 UTC 2010

Um ... I suspect I'm right out on a limb here, and am about to be shot down,
but ...

We have a minimal pair.

"Between you and me" is *not the same as "Between you and I" -- there are
connotational differences between the two phrases even as they stand, and
they can (and do) occur in different contexts and registers, signaling a
variety of things, not all of them grammatical ineptitude or linguistic
incompetence.

Both are acceptable as examples of English Language Use, and to deny the
validity of either, when properly used in context, is to diminish the
resources of our speech.  (So there. <g>)

I also can't see any formal argument against "Between you and I" that
wouldn't end up by disallowing a split infinitive or disavowing the use of
the double negative as a form of intensifier.

Robin