"don't think zebras"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Feb 19 12:56:26 UTC 2010

In the files of the in-progress _Yale Book of Modern Proverbs_, we have this:

1969  John A. Koepke, _Guide to Clinical Laboratory Diagnosis_ (New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts) 79:  "These three causes [of edema] should always be prime considerations, and after they have been ruled out, other less common causes may be considered.  As one 'philosopher' put it:  'When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.'"

I don't know who the cited "philosopher" is.

Of course, the saying is a figurative statement of the so-called "principle of parsimony," a correlary of "Ockham’s razor."

--Charlie