What is winter?

Stone, William w-stone at NEIU.EDU
Fri Feb 19 16:10:19 UTC 2010

If we celebrate March 21st as the first day of spring, and midsummer day as variously June 21st, 22nd or 24th, when does spring end and summer begin? I was told that, here in Illinois, it's Memorial Day when the outdoor public swimming pools open. It seems a reasonable and flexible date and leaves out expert opinion from meterologists and astronomers.

Dr. William J. Stone
Associate Professor
TESL Program
Northeastern Illinois University

________________________________

From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Amy West
Sent: Fri 2/19/2010 7:18 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: What is winter?

No, it's simply how it's being determined that varies. The Dec. 21 to
Mar. 21 dates are for the astronomical, if you will, season -- the
time between the winter solstice and vernal equinox -- determined by
the earth's position in its annual trip around the sun. The Dec to
Feb dates are for the meterological/climatic season -- temperature,
precipitation, etc.

---Amy West