nomconjobjs: between you and me/I

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 22 18:36:00 UTC 2010

Jesus, Tom! We are not talking about the substantive difference between
40 hits and 100 hits--there are literally hundreds of thousands raw
ghits showing pervasive usage of both (I got a slightly lower ratio for
the same search, though--635G to 164G with "just", but a much higher one
without "just"--26M to 976G; there may be some noise in the latter from
a different meaning of "between").

On a different note, the the truly *amazing* ratio to me is for "between
him and I" vs. "between him and me"--15.2M to 1.15M. With "her" the
ratio is a bit lower--12.2M to 3.81M raw ghits. This simply defies all
logic. "Between I and him" gets 200G, "between me and him"--652G,
"between me and he"--shocking 9.06M, "between I and he"--800G, all raw.

Don't think it does? Take a look for the numbers with he/I and
he/me--the result is reversed! 1.05M to 3M raw. With "she" it's even
worse--51.4G to 733G! Comparing she/him and her/he combinations (in
either order) is truly hair-raising.

It's as if people deliberately use the most clashing combinations. Is
everyone overcorrecting overcorrections even further in the wrong direction?

     VS-)