What do you call a sex maniac?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 22 22:47:06 UTC 2010

Isn't satyriasis a medical term referring to a condition in which an
erection lasts for more than, e.g. four hours? That's probably why
satyriac has never caught on among the hoi polloi. Even Don "The
Magic" Juan - who knows or cares what his real name is? - brags about
size, not stamina.

-Wilson

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: What do you call a sex maniac?
>
> At 2/22/2010 02:25 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>>At 12:22 PM -0500 2/22/10, Eric Nielsen wrote:
>>>How about:
>>>
>>>player
>>>horndog
>>>satyrist
>>
>>I have the sense that the last of those may tend to be a victim of
>>blocking by homonymy.
>
> Also, as a student of the 18th century I resent a literary term being
> misappropriated.  :-)
>
> There is satyriasis, why no satyriac (n) in the relevant sense?
> Priapian?
>
> Joel

-Wilson
–––