Toyoda/Toyota (was: a wee predating of hotdog - if true - to circa 1870 )

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 25 17:21:56 UTC 2010

Not sure if any of it is true, but this is circulating on "the series of tubes":

Why Toyota and not Toyoda?

==
According to a much-quoted article in Wikipedia, the spelling change
was made to make it easier to pronounce, symbolize a separation from
the founder’s home life, and, possibly most importantly, because
Toyota, which takes eight strokes to write in Japanese, is considered
to be luckier than Toyoda.
==

This is not *exactly* what Wiki says today, but it's close. In fact,
the difference in brush strokes is very subtle (relying on Wiki)--just
two ticks on the right that are in the family name, but not in the
company name. So it is indeed simplified. As for the subjective
reasons for the change, take it or leave it.

There are some conflicting reports as to who made the decision and the
precise family relationship. Some sites suggest that it was Kiichiro,
the son of inventor Sakichi Toyoda, who came up with the name or made
the decision to change it. Other sites claim that it was Risaburo
Toyoda--reported either as a brother-in-law or as an adopted brother
to Kiichiro--who was behind the change because he had no formal
allegiance to the family name. At this point, all that we need to know
is that the decision was made before the auto division was spun off
from the family company as Toyota Motor Company.

This took less then 10 minutes of Googling, including confirmation of
most details from multiple sites. Please note that I am not claiming
knowledge--for all I know, I am just repeating a popular urban legend.

VS-)