"dropped on"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Feb 26 15:05:23 UTC 2010

Ah, trepann'd -- that verb (2) with unpleasant associations with verb
(1).  When I first encountered it in the 18th century and not in a
surgical context I had to check the OED.

Is it possible that "trepann'd" got altered to "dropped on" from
mishearing combined with verb (2) being not common and not recognized?

Joel