Matsuda

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Feb 27 06:57:16 UTC 2010

--

The peculiarity here is rendaku ("sequential voicing"), I think. The
Wikipedia article on "rendaku" seems (to this naif) pretty good for its

Aha! The Kubozono reference in the Wiki article is interesting and
readable on-line. It includes (section 2.2) a summary of a study (Sugito
1965) specifically addressing rendaku affecting exactly this "ta" in
names! The rendaku can be predicted (sort of) after all, I guess.

-- Doug Wilson