push comes to shove (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Feb 26 21:11:30 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

And more, from 19th Cent Newspapers:

_Macon Telegraph_ 2/13/1897 p 4 col 3
"But, "if pinch [sic] comes to shove," as old Sol [??? --garbled] was
wont to say, will these gentlemen put on the habilaments [sic] of war
and prove "more than a match" for British ironclads or Spanish
machetes?"

_Macon Telegraph_ 2/28/1898, p 4 col 2
"When "push comes to shove" will editors of the Yellow Kid organs
enlist?"
["The Yellow Kid", a seminal newspaper cartoon, was syndicated by the
Hearst Syndicate.  Hearst promoted US entry into the Spanish-American
war.]

_Macon Telegraph_ 10/6/1898, p 20 col 2
"To drop to negro philosophy, "when push comes to shove he must move." "

-------------
> --
> > --------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU>
> > Subject:      push comes to shove (1924)

> --
> > --------
> >
> > The latest OED draft entry for "push" has "if/when push comes to
> > shove" from 1940. Some earlier cites (the first three are from "The
> > Week," by Defender columnist Roscoe Simmons):
> >
> > ---
> > 1924 _Chicago Defender_ 9 Aug. II1/2 "Defense day," backed by
> > President Coolidge, will be used to show you what you could do in a
> > pinch and, also, to show Europe what Uncle Sam can do if push comes
> > shove.
> > ---
> > 1924 _Chicago Defender_ 4 Oct. II1/2 Hope that this matter will blow
> > over, but if push comes to shove and you are called, don't make a
> > mistake.
> > ---
> > 1926 _Chicago Defender_ 20 Feb. II1/2 He may even give the register
> of
> > the treasury to some dark American if push comes to shove.
> > ---
> > 1932 _Chicago Defender_ 23 Jan. 14/2 Indeed, American sailors, like
> > all Americans, are tough on ladies, all outside of their "race"
> first,
> > and then their own if push comes to shove, at sea, on land, home or
> > abroad.
> > ---
> > 1935 Arna Bontemps _Black Thunder_ 53 And, let push come to shove,
He