Carrying pole

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Feb 27 02:37:21 UTC 2010

Randy Alexander wrote:
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Randy Alexander <strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Carrying pole
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know of a special word or term in English for the kind of
> pole that one would put over one's shoulder to carry two buckets of
> water (one on each end of the pole)?

Maybe not a general term, maybe (obsolete?) US military slang: "chogi[e]
stick": a few examples are Googleable.

[I guess this is the same "chogi" which means "[Korean] laborer", also
"go", also "carry"/"tote"/"hump" or so (IIRC) ... shown in HDAS ... I
suppose from Korean, I don't know from which Korean word or by what
semantic route.]

-- Doug Wilson

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list