Carrying pole

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 27 03:33:07 UTC 2010

It's interesting that in Northern and Eastern Europe, there was a
traditional implement that was a carved yoke (don't know about the
rest of Europe). In other parts of the world, particularly in Asia, it
may well be a long stick or pole with a couple of notches. The latter
provides endless basic entertainment in martial arts films.

Just as a reflection, don't forget the "six-pack yoke"--hardly a term
that would have come up without the appropriate background


On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at> wrote:
> Randy Alexander wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a special word or term in English for the kind of
>> pole that one would put over one's shoulder to carry two buckets of
>> water (one on each end of the pole)?
> --
> Maybe not a general term, maybe (obsolete?) US military slang: "chogi[e]
> stick": a few examples are Googleable.
> [I guess this is the same "chogi" which means "[Korean] laborer", also
> "go", also "carry"/"tote"/"hump" or so (IIRC) ... shown in HDAS ... I
> suppose from Korean, I don't know from which Korean word or by what
> semantic route.]
> -- Doug Wilson

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list