talisman

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 2 23:18:23 UTC 2010

I would not have believed it if I did not see it in print

> Benitez's team selection reflected the Cup's importance, as he fielded
> a full-strength side featuring *twin talismen* Gerrard and Fernando
> Torres.
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/02012010/58/fa-cup-liverpool-struggle-draw-reading.html

AFAICT the expression "talisman forward" (or goalkeeper, or just
"keeper") is quite common in the British sports press in reference to
top football/soccer players. For all I know, it may well translate to
other sports as well, but I have never seen the reference in US sports
press. Yet, I find the reference to "twin talismen" absolutely shocking.
It reminds me of the sarcastic "innovations" aimed at anti-sexist
language claims in changing the face of "mandate", "demand", etc. to
de-emphasize the "man" in these words.

     VS-)